[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Question

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 16:16:13 UTC 2012

Maybe it's the antenna, or a short in the cable (water in the coax) or a
nearby transmitters that is jamming the GPS signal.   The simplest way to
diagnose the problem is by swapping parts.    Is your antenna in a good
location with a direct view of the entire sky?

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Ed Mersich <wa6rzw at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have been using a surplus Thunderbolt for about six months, and it seemed
> to be working  fine.  In January 2012, a message came up in yellow, (LEAP
> PENDING!), I don't know what this means, but since it didn't go away on Feb
> 28, must not be leap year related.  About a week ago I got a Holdover: xx
> secs, message.  It was a new figure in yellow.  Yesterday the Thunderbolt
> stopped working correctly, there were no satellites found.  I tried Lady
> Heather, and Trimble Studio without success.    I finally got the unit back
> in service with a program called "Tboltmon.exe".  After it was running for
> couple of hours I restarted Lady Heather.  This morning I again have
> "Holdover: 50 secs".
>

> Does it sound normal, or is this unit headed for the junk box?  Sorry, I am
> not very technical about this type of electronics.   You can see a snapshot
> of Lady Heather at: http://wa6rzw.homelinux.net/addon/fmt/fmt_2.php  Any
> comments or suggestions would be appreciated.  73  Ed,  WA6RZW

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California