[time-nuts] Germany sends optical-clock signal over nearly 1000 km

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Apr 28 00:36:39 UTC 2012

http://tinyurl.com/6of34oq
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2012/apr/26/germany-sends-optical-clo
ck-signal-over-nearly-1000-km

Physicists in Germany have sent a burst of light over a distance of 920 km
down an optical fibre -- with its frequency remaining stable to the 19th
decimal place. As well as supporting the development of highly accurate
"optical clocks", the breakthrough could also be used in a range of
commercial and scientific applications including precision spectroscopy,
geodesy and very-long-baseline astronomy.