[time-nuts] HP5065A Repairable?

Edgardo Molina xe1xus at amsat.org
Wed Aug 29 05:37:13 UTC 2012

Dear Ron,

Good morning. I just finished rebuilding a not so beaten 5065a. The physics package is ok. It is one of the later units. I had to spend several weeks working on power supplies, regulators and changing every single capacitor on the boards for security matters as no capacitor was showing the required specs. After that I replaced an IC commonly available, several transistors, cleaned inside-out and voila! It is working as good as new. Well I think I am exaggerating a little bit, but I still hold the hight spirits for it to perform like this for the years to come. Or should I say months? Knock on wood.

Once repaired I went to the cosmetics, I got matched beige paint to cover some dings and small scratches. Cleaned everything with Windex and a toothbrush NOTE: WITHOUT THE PHYSICS PACKAGE MOUNTED INSIDE THE CASE. Rubidium and water don't get along and even if the physics package is completely sealed please do not take any chances.

After that I used Scotch 3M dish cleaner sponge with the green abrasive felt to clean and renew the appearance of the aluminium trim. It looks like new. A little Dremel soft polishing wheel and all the screw heads are like new, also connectors to keep everything in original state. For the main control and adjustment area I used a jeweller silver cleaning cloth. It is very soft on delicate metallic surfaces and cleans/shines at the same time. In short I got a new looking unit.

I payed less than $800 USD for it along with spare parts, cleaning material and a visit to my electronics guru who guided me through testing of the oscillator and checking everything to original specs in his lab.

I love having the 5065a. It is just a fine toy which also gives pride of ownership. Best if it is performing like it should. I wish I could find another one. Better equipped. Mine is barebones without any option. I still have to get the Bendix looking DC power connector to use a decent DC battery backup. My model is also the one that could use the digital led clock on the right hand side of the instrument. I bought an HP 59309a digital clock to match it and finally see some integrated frequencies as time.

If you need any other information I could possibly share, please feel free to contact me anytime. There is a lot of expertise in this fine group for HP rubidiums. I bet Corby Dawson could jump into the scene. He has been very kind to me offering his experience in 5065a repair and reconstruction. I better keep his contact information close to the night table in case nightmares visit me tonight.

Cheers and please share your experiences whenever you are ready to take the plunge.

Regards,

Edgardo Molina
Dirección IPTEL

www.iptel.net.mx

T : 55 55 55202444
M : 04455 20501854

Piensa en Bits SA de CV

Información anexa:

CONFIDENCIALIDAD DE INFORMACION

Este mensaje tiene carácter confidencial. Si usted no es el destinarario de este mensaje, le suplicamos se lo notifique al remitente mediante un correo electrónico y que borre el presente mensaje y sus anexos de su computadora sin retener una copia de los mismos. Queda estrictamente prohibido copiar este mensaje o hacer usode el para cualquier propósito o divulgar su en forma parcial o total su contenido. Gracias.

NON-DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION

This email is strictly confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please immediately advise the sender by replying to this e-mail and then deleting the message and its attachments from your computer without keeping a copy. It is strictly forbidden to copy it or use it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any third party. Thank you.