[time-nuts] Open source GPSDO

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Thu Dec 6 19:44:41 UTC 2012

On 6 December 2012 18:28, Murray Greenman <denwood at orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> Keenan,
> You can see my GPSDO source code for a mere $50. It comes with manual and
> executables. The executables alone are $20.
>
> See http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/MICRO/SIMPLE/SimpleGPS.htm

Murray ,

There's a huge difference between open-source and paying $50 to view
the code for ones own use.

Even if the code was cost just $0.01, but the code was not open to
public scrutiny, it detracts from its value. I've no objection to you,
or anyone else writing code for proffit - I have done it myself many
times. But your code is not open-source, and does not have the
advantages that open-source code has - open to public scrutiny,
ability to share improvements with the community etc. I can't quite
work out why the title is "Open source GPSDO" when the code is not
open-source.

BTW, I suspect you reduce potential sales by not accepting Personal
checks, bank checks, internet pay services or money orders. Having
banknotes wrapped inside a letter posted to you does not appeal to
many people now.

http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/MICRO/Index.htm#NOTES

Before the days of Paypal, I found posting banknotes was the cheapest
way to send small amount of money overseas. I'd generally buy USD from
a travel agent in the UK and post them off in an envelope, as the bank
costs to get a small amount of money transfered were too high. But it
is not to everyones liking.

Dave.