[time-nuts] Open source GPSDO

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Thu Dec 6 20:55:35 UTC 2012

On 6 December 2012 20:33, Chuck Harris <cfharris at erols.com> wrote:
> If by OpenSource he means that he used the OpenSource
> tool chain, and libraries, and then is keeping his source
> and executables closed, he may be in violation of
> the GNU licenses.
>
> -Chuck Harris

According to the web page

http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/MICRO/Index.htm#NOTES

the code is written in "Microsoft Quick Basic 3.2 compiler syntax".
So it is not an open-source tool chain.

I'm not sure what you mean by "OpenSource tool chain", but if you are
thinking of gcc, then there is a special GCC RUNTIME LIBRARY
EXCEPTION.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception-3.1.html

so you can use gcc to create closed-source software, despite the fact
gcc is a GPL program.

As a reader of the gcc mailing lists, it is a fairly common question
on there, from people who want to use gcc for closed-source software,
but are not sure if it legal to do so. The answer is yes, you can use
gcc for commerical closed-source software.

Dave