[time-nuts] YIG oscillator drift question

Peter Bell bell.peter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 04:02:00 UTC 2012

Another thing you should be aware of is that they have quite a bit of
hysteresis - so even with the same tuning current the output frequency
might differ by several MHz depending on whether you approached that
setpoint from above or below.  The YIG sphere also has a substantial
temperature coefficient - so although you don't *need* the heater in order
to get the oscillator working not having it will substantially degrade your
frequency stability.