[time-nuts] Cell timing error

Joseph Orsak jorsak at nc.rr.com
Sat Dec 15 23:24:20 UTC 2012

AT&T uses UMTS in most areas which is a "self-synchronizing" modulation
scheme. Supposedly one of the selling points is "no dependence on GPS". All
the extra sync channels and sync messaging is a capacity hog, not a very
spectrally efficient standard in my opinion.

About 85 maximum simultaneous voice calls in a 5Mhz UL / 5 Mhz DL
sector/carrier before it starts to fall apart. A big step backwards from
good old CDMA2000 (also just my opinion).

But hey, you can surf the web while you talk on the same device.

-Joe W4WN