[time-nuts] Re 2.5 GHz 12 digit counter project

Merv Thomas vk6bmt at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 28 08:11:37 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I bought the Dec 2012 magazine today and have casually looked thru the
article.  Part 2 will come in the Jan 2013 edition.

Initial comments are:

It is thru-hole construction(understandably because many constructors do not
have the ability to do surface mount)  Personally I would have liked surface
mount.

Until I see the PCB layouts(they normally liaise with an Australian parts
supplier who sells kits for Silicon Chip projects to provide the PCB's
required)I will reserve my judgment on the quality of the layout and boards.

My only experience with Silicon Chips projects was their May/June 2009 6
Digit GPS clock.  The PCB was not good quality and they originally supplied
the programmed PIC with an error in it which prevented the clock from
working correctly.  After pointing out the error and having a Ham friend
change the program my unit and that of VK6UZ now works well aside from an
annoying jitter/flutter on the readouts from time to time. I assume this may
be as a result of the multiplexing.

Jim Rowe has done many articles/projects for this magazine and I'm sure he
is a very competent person.  Hats off to him for the constant stream of
projects and remember he has to make them workable by people who range from
experts to almost idiots!!  I tend to be to the lower end - hi, hi.

Merv  VK6BMT