[time-nuts] Building a GPSDO & trouble using Jupiter-T

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 00:29:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Didier Juges <shalimr9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You have to spend good money to get a GPS receiver capable of calculating
> it's time and/or position more than once per second. I am not aware of that
> being done for timing applications, but it is available for navigation GPS
> receivers, such as those used to track race cars (for a race car, one
> second is an eternity). I have seen navigation receivers capable of 10
> fixes/second, I am sure there are better ones yet. They cost a lot of money.

I'm pretty sure those GPS recievers that send out more frequent data,
at say 2Hz or 5Hz are just interpolating.  It is not more accurate.
The GPS sats only send a frame once over 6 seconds.

They send at higher rate so that the system using the GPS does not
need to know how to dead reckon and can have decent results for simply
using last reported position

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California