[time-nuts] IEEE1588

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 19:28:24 UTC 2012

> There's no requirement for a grandmaster to be hooked up to GPS. It may just as well work
> off its own oscillator. A grandmaster is the ultimate source of time in a PTP network. It is
> not relevant what its time source is.

That is correct.  It can use any kind of reference clock.  GPS is the
reference most of use would use but some people might have IRIG or
some other source.

The OP's question was "how do I get grand master data" and the answer
should have beed stated as "From a computer you own that runs PTPd and
has a reference clock of some kind."

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California