[time-nuts] PTS synthesizers

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Fri Feb 10 03:26:44 UTC 2012

Ah so, master Joe, your net-fu is very good. I forgot that my stuff
might be archived. Fabulous resource.

So, while we are at it, here is some more PTS info. There are two
general families of these synthesizers. I may not get this exactly
right, from memory, but it should be close enough for discussion. The
first group (older design, I think) used a bunch of modules to
synthesize decades of frequencies and mix to generate the output. The
second group uses a more modern DDS synthesis process with fewer
internal modules. The PTS 160 and 250 are common examples of models in
the first group. I also have a D310 which contains two of the second
family synthesizers inside, and only has GPIB control in the one I found.

The KO4BB site, manuals section, used to have some helpful documents.
The 500 manual was an example of the first group and the 310 manual, an
example of the second group. These scans had many extras, including
scans of many module descriptions with schematics. There is one module,
in both manuals, that covers the GPIB interface for units with that
feature. The scans were in the 20 Mb size range since they are all
images, not searchable text.

Using Joe's lead, there are disappeared links...
http://web.archive.org/web/20071013115001/http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/
specifically...
http://web.archive.org/web/20071013115001/http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/PTS500.pdf
http://web.archive.org/web/20071013115001/http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/PTS310.pdf