[time-nuts] Schematic capture, anyone?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 17:16:33 UTC 2012

> I'm a UNIX guy, really.  It so happens I can't use a Mac unless it has a
> 3-button mouse and between 9 and 16 xterms open at any given time

That's me also,   The Mac is taking the place of the high-end Silicon
Graphics O2 that I used to like.

One more Schematic capture program I like that is different from the
others is "xcircuit".

http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit/

 This one is aimed at publication.  It is actually a Postscript
graphic editor and all the schematic symbols are little snippets of
Postscript.   The goal of the program is "publication quality
schematics" but it can also export a net list.  It's extenable with
scripts and plays well with other EDA systems.

I build some things (Guitar amps, studio type audio) with vacuum tubes
so one of my criteria is that any schematic capture software has to
handle vacuum tubes well as well as micro-controllers and op amps.
would never use a PCB on a tube project.     xcircuit does what it
claims to do.

That said Eagle has some advantages too and so does gEDA nad KiCad and
the others.  I stay away from software that runs only on Windows

http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit/
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California