[time-nuts] Morion MV89A Repair

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sun Feb 26 02:11:42 UTC 2012

> Are the specs at 5 MHz or at 10? They should be 6 db worse at 10 than at
5.

Now that I'm looking back at the data sheet posted with the auction, they
were indeed specified at 5 MHz.  But even after the 6 dB penalty, their spec
limits versus their real-world numbers are pretty marginal.

Morion actually announced this particular oscillator at IFCS 2002, so
there's a paper of sorts:
http://www.ke5fx.com/Morion_MV89A_IEEE_IFCS_2002.pdf .  Figure 4 was taken
from a 10 MHz part, but all three of the ones I've tested look like the
attached.  Same as figure 4 until about 200 Hz... then they never go any
lower.

-- john