[time-nuts] Thermal insulation choice?

Eric Garner garnere at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 19:54:02 UTC 2012

I've used "Reflectix" duct insulation in applications like this. it's
essentially bubble wrap with a reflective layer, you can layer it
pretty easily to add/subtract from the insulation value. plus is comes
in small, cheap rolls

here is a link to the amazon item, but it's in most hardware stores too:
http://www.amazon.com/Reflectix-6X25-Foil-Insulation-Lpw0602506/dp/B000BQNYSI/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1325879277&sr=1-5

-Eric

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM, John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a readily available (from Home Depot or other local source) insulating material to use in a chassis that's housing a sensitive OCXO.  My goal is just to slow down any external thermal transients so the oven loop has time to react gracefully.
>
> I'm thinking of something in sheet form that I could glue to the inside bottom and side of the metal chassis.  The trimmed sheet sizes will each probably end up being around 4 x 8 inches.  I have enough clearance for a thickness of a half inch or so.  I'd like to avoid a bat material as that would be hard to mount neatly.
>
> Long lifetime (ie, not getting all crumbly after a few years) is important as I don't expect this oscillator to get cold until I do.
>
> Any suggestions of a material to look for?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

--Eric