[time-nuts] FE-5680A Mechanical Question

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 07:54:43 UTC 2012

I've found yet another good way to get data into a computer.
Sparkfun sells a bundle with an Arduino and a student copy of Labview
for $50 total.   All the analog and digital pins are pulled into
LabVIEW and then you can drag and drop the signals into processing
blocks and connect those to graphs and plots.   It's a very painless
way to connect a graphic object on the computer screen to a pin on a
uP.   Labview is not a permanent solution but it's a quick way to
experiment and build a sophisticated PID controller without writing
any code.   Then later write it in C and burn into the Arduino.
Using Arduino costs more but I don't have to make a PCB and you can
buy one the $20 on eBay.   Also it would be very easy to add an
Ethernet interface and SD card for data logging.  You might say
Ethernet and SD cards are to complex.  But, no they plug in like a
Lego block and don't cost much

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Peter Bell <bell.peter at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think lots of people have designed MCU based HPIB interfaces - the
> problem is that most of them are, like mine, designed to solve a specific
> problem and there is no subsequent incentive to clean up the documentation
> to the  point where you wouldn't be embarrased to release it to the public
> - at least that's the state mine is in...
> On Jan 14, 2012 8:35 AM, "Jim Lux" <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> I've been Googling,....
>>>
>>> Yes there is a free published.  It appears to be the very much like
>>> the Prologix.  The Prologix was the next iteration of this design.
>>> http://lpvo.fe.uni-lj.si/en/**raziskave/elektronika/**
>>> podatkovni-in-merilni-**vmesniki/<http://lpvo.fe.uni-lj.si/en/raziskave/elektronika/podatkovni-in-merilni-vmesniki/>
>>>

>> Fascinating.. so basically, by spending $150 you save whatever time you'd
>> spend buying the $50 worth of parts (which might be more by now) and
>> assembling it.  Seems a nice way to cover both ends of the user spectrum.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California