[time-nuts] My T-bolt died...

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Thu Jul 26 14:19:22 UTC 2012

Time-nutters--

Aaaarrrghhh!   My T-bolt died.

I have the version with the built-in power supply
that requires only a +24 input.

The power supply is putting out +12, -12 and +5.
At least I see these voltages on the upper board
on the pins of the 6-pin connector that supplies
power to the main board.

What puzzles me is that the main board acts as
if it is not getting *any* power; the OCXO stays
cold and none of the multi-pin chips on the
main board seem to be getting any power as
they do not show any sign of getting even the
slightest bit warm.   The main board is a multi-
layer PC board which makes it nearly impossible
to trace how the power supply voltages get to
anywhere on the board.

Fortunately, I have a back-up T-bolt I picked up
on flea-bay and it works...  at least it puts out
10 MHz and clock pulses.

What is the correct Lady Heather procedure for
setting up a T-bolt for best performance?   I powered
it up and told it to do a survey.  Two displays came
up; one that plots fixes on a horiz and vert axis in
different colors and one that shows the tracks of
all the birds passing overhead.

However-- all of the color dots showing fix points
are waaayyyy off at the top of the little display box.
After doing fixes for a few hours  it appears that most
of the fixes are off screen outside the upper side of the
display.

It appears that I have not gone through the correct
procedure to do the proper set-up to put the T-bolt
into service at a new location.

Any suggestions on the proper sequence of Lady Heather
commands?

Thanks!!

Mike Baker  WA4HFR
Gainesville/Micanopy, Florida   USA