[time-nuts] GPS / GNSS front-end board

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Jun 5 19:53:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 15:40:48 -0400
Michael Tharp <gxti at partiallystapled.com> wrote:

> On 06/05/2012 03:31 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > * The XC6SLX9 is<10USD more expensive than the SLX6. I think the added
> >    value of having twice as much "real estate" would justify the additional
> >    price.
>
> Some vendors don't even stock the SLX6, including Digi-Key! Agreed
> though, it would be neat if a CPU capable of doing fixes could be fit
> onto the FPGA alongside. Might be impractical though, a DSP would
> probably be more appropriate. Still, from what I can tell a FPGA makes a
> decent PPS-level phase comparator. You can even gang them up with a
> phase-shifted clock to get finer resolution.

Yes, there are at least half a dozen ways i can think of to use this
board in combination with other boards or various uC and DSPs. And
everyone has their own pet uC/DSP/board that he'd like to use.
Thus i think some easily accessible header pins would be better than
putting a uC directly on the board.

> > How about design tools for the FPGA? As far as i can tell, the ISE WebPack
> > does not support the Spartan 6 family.
>
> WebPack does support XC6, or at least the mid-range parts and below. I
> have a XC6SLX45 dev board and have no problems generating bitstreams.

Cool. It thought it was strange that the WebPack FAQ listed only spartan3.
But i couldnt find any other reference listing the supported FPGAs.

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?