[time-nuts] GPS / GNSS front-end board

Eric Garner garnere at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 16:33:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 15:40:48 -0400
> Michael Tharp <gxti at partiallystapled.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06/05/2012 03:31 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
>> > * The XC6SLX9 is<10USD more expensive than the SLX6. I think the added
>> >    value of having twice as much "real estate" would justify the additional
>> >    price.
>>
>> Some vendors don't even stock the SLX6, including Digi-Key! Agreed
>> though, it would be neat if a CPU capable of doing fixes could be fit
>> onto the FPGA alongside. Might be impractical though, a DSP would
>> probably be more appropriate. Still, from what I can tell a FPGA makes a
>> decent PPS-level phase comparator. You can even gang them up with a
>> phase-shifted clock to get finer resolution.
>
> Yes, there are at least half a dozen ways i can think of to use this
> board in combination with other boards or various uC and DSPs. And
> everyone has their own pet uC/DSP/board that he'd like to use.
> Thus i think some easily accessible header pins would be better than
> putting a uC directly on the board.
>
>> > How about design tools for the FPGA? As far as i can tell, the ISE WebPack
>> > does not support the Spartan 6 family.
>>
>> WebPack does support XC6, or at least the mid-range parts and below. I
>> have a XC6SLX45 dev board and have no problems generating bitstreams.
>
> Cool. It thought it was strange that the WebPack FAQ listed only spartan3.
> But i couldnt find any other reference listing the supported FPGAs.
>
>                        Attila Kinali
>

> --
> Why does it take years to find the answers to
> the questions one should have asked long ago?

I just accessed the book on SpringerLink and it looks fantastic.
Fortunately my company's library lets me have full access to the text
of the book. However, it does not appear that they let me download the
matlab code that comes on the CD that comes with the book. do you know
if it's available somewhere?

--
--Eric