[time-nuts] HP5386A GPIB

Hui Zhang ba6it at 163.com
Sun Jun 17 15:17:25 UTC 2012

I have a old HP5386A counter and a OEM USB-GPIB controller(no tech support), I use a serial port debug program to send command via USB-GPIB to HP5386A, when I send "FU2"(Measure period) or "DI"(increment display digis), the 5386 response the command and worked well, the other control command in the HP's manual also worked well.

But I don't know how to read the measure value from 5385A, in my HP3478A mutilmeter case, I just send a "?", it will return voltage value to software, but at 5386A, the “?” not work, I got error message "52" on LCD panel.

I read the HP5386's manual, the demonstrates used "ENTER" command to get measure value, but the "ENTER" is a HP-BASIC command of vintage HP-85 computer. I don't know how to send similar command to control my counter, can someone give me some advice? Thank you!

Hui