[time-nuts] HP5386A GPIB

Michael Blazer mblazer at satx.rr.com
Sun Jun 17 15:45:07 UTC 2012

Hui,
The older instruments have a very simple command structure. You don't
need the "?" to query. Typically just doing a GPIB Read command (ibread
for NI controllers) will address the counter to output and it will send
the current reading. This can cause a problem if you request data too
soon after a setup command. You'll get the previous reading.
The "ENTER S ; N$" command just reads from address "S" into the variable
"N$".
It sound like you need the command to your USB-GPIB controller to get it
to read. The counter is probably ready to send the data, the controller
just needs to initiate its read cycle.

Mike