[time-nuts] Trimble SMT board

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 14:08:01 UTC 2012

Hi David,

thanks a lot for the info,.... I have also the 1PPS output, but had the
impression that it will also output TSIP or any other kind of MSG upon
power-up... and you can configure the board as required of the need.....it
outputs  according to the TrimbleStudio SW is TEP format but any
interruption of the  power / +3.3 V / then no any msg comes out..!!!!
I want to use for the Brook Shera board....so  the 1PPS is OK.
I did not chked out with the Motorola software or TAC32 but will do.

Rgds Ernie.
PS.  for what board / gpsdo / do you use  the SMT gps..????

Ernie,

I will be interested to know whether the Motorola format works so look
forward to your report back.  I have no definite use for the board - it just
sounded like a good buy.  My interest is more in time than frequency, so I
could use it for PPS generation for NTP on a PC, with the Internet or other
servers providing the nearest second and the device providing the actual
second edge.  Having seen how short the pulse is, though, I am uncertain
whether it would work directly.  I already have Garmin GPS 18 LVC, 18x LVC,
and Sure Electronics PPS sources, but having a third manufacturer (and one
as highly rated as Trimble) can't be a bad thing.  <G>

There is also a remote possibility to use it in a stand-alone
multi-lateration device, although the non-standard output format could
scupper that!  It uses an older Trimble SMT board.

  http://www.modesbeast.com/radarcape-weblog.html

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu