[time-nuts] !0 MHz standard frequency intruder

EB4APL eb4apl at cembreros.jazztel.es
Thu Jun 28 23:33:27 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm receiving, maybe from less than a  month, a new station on 10 MHz
which claims it is an "experimental time signals station".
The weird thing is that they transmit music between the minute time
marks, heavily interfering with the other standard stations which share
this frequency.  Currently I receive there WWV, the Italian official
standard frequency and time station IBF and its Brazilian counterpart
PPR (BTW PPR broadcasts local time instead of UTC). They transmit
continuously 24 hours a day.
Every 15 minutes a female voice says that this is an experimental time
station, gives a web page and its locator.  While I agree that anybody
could run an standard frequency and time station, given official license
from their local authorities (and after international coordination, I
suppose), I think this is a truly "pirate" station because among their
weird "programming" , I also notice:

- Their carrier is currently - 4 Hz off.
- The second ticks are offset enough to be perceived by ear with respect
to known standards.

The transmission is in USB with full carrier (I don't have the
designation on hand).  The format is:
- The whole sequence begins at multiples of 15 minutes.
- At second 52 they transmit something like a 2 second burst in FSK (It
can be a fake signal without any useful information).
- At second 54 begins 1 sec ticks.
- Tick at second 59 is omitted, then only the tick for sec 0 is transmitted.
- After the 0 sec tick a male voice announces the hour and minute. The
voice has an intonation like a news or sports speaker.
- A female voice makes an announcement about being an experimental time
station, gives a web page and its locator.
. The ticks are discontinued and replace by music.
- The first music in a 15 minute cycle is from Peer Gynt, it is replaced
with other music the next minutes.
- The next minutes lack the female voice announcement until next cycle
begins.

All speaking is done in Italian language.
If I copied the locator correctly, the transmitter location is near
Pisa, Italy.

Did anybody noticed this transmission?  I receive it in Madrid, Spain.

Regards,
Ignacio, EB4APL