[time-nuts] broadband MPX signal stereo

Florian Teply usenet at teply.info
Wed Mar 21 20:49:25 UTC 2012

Am Thu, 15 Mar 2012 22:08:12 +0100
schrieb Azelio Boriani <azelio.boriani at screen.it>:

> Yes, there is people who have what in the past was expensive test
> equipment and now can be bought by 1/10 of the original price. The
> problem is that you need someone who can record 2 seconds of a signal
> that is slightly beyond the actual sound card sampling capability. A
> signal that you can have by simply tuning your radio and hooking
> directly to the FM discriminator output. This signal is available
> virtually all over the world. AFAIK there was in the past no
> expensive test equipment that can sample and record a file. Now there
> are: the R&S SMBV100 can sample and play any signal upto 3GHz with
> the full options fitted and the companion recorder/player for 200K
> euros, the file produced are not PC compatible, of course.

I wouldn't go as far as stating that the files are not PC compatible.
Of course, you'll probably need some special hardware that does the A/D
and D/A conversion, respectively, but i'm pretty sure most of what the
R&S SMBV100 does apart from data conversion is just software running on
an embedded PC. Plain x86 type hardware, for that matter, as it's
running either MS Windows or Linux (can't tell directly from the R&S
website picture, but the more recent the hardware, the higher the
probability of Linux instead of Windows for R&S stuff)...

It still is very much $$$ though :-(

Best regards,
Florian