[time-nuts] Why are 1PPS signals so skinny?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed May 16 03:25:28 UTC 2012

richard at karlquist.com said:
> FWIW, the E1938A oscillator control board had a "happy light" LED that
> flashed 1 time per second, and sure enough this corrupted the power supply
> and affected some applications.  We added a command to turn it off.

Why should lights blink when they are happy?

Your eye is real good at noticing blinking things.  Why not use blinking for
things that are broken and need attention?

Of course, with a PPS, blinking is an obvious thing to do: 1 resistor, 1 LED,
your eye does all the work.

I built a converter from blink on happy to blink on sad.  I've been happy
with it.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.