[time-nuts] Why are 1PPS signals so skinny?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed May 16 07:51:00 UTC 2012

On 05/16/2012 05:25 AM, Hal Murray wrote:

> richard at karlquist.com said:
>> FWIW, the E1938A oscillator control board had a "happy light" LED that
>> flashed 1 time per second, and sure enough this corrupted the power supply
>> and affected some applications.  We added a command to turn it off.
>
> Why should lights blink when they are happy?
>
> Your eye is real good at noticing blinking things.  Why not use blinking for
> things that are broken and need attention?
>
> Of course, with a PPS, blinking is an obvious thing to do: 1 resistor, 1 LED,
> your eye does all the work.
>
> I built a converter from blink on happy to blink on sad.  I've been happy
> with it.

If you have a timer trigger that invert the LED drive, when it gets
stuck for whatever reason, then you will notice the lack of blinking.
This is why happy blinking is being used. It's really a form of simple
software debugging tool in its simplest form.

You could get a watchdog timer that would trigger an unhappy blinker.
More hardware.

Cheers,
Magnus