[time-nuts] MT3339 chipset in Globaltop's FGPMMOPA6H

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Nov 22 23:19:20 UTC 2012

> In my mind somewhere I stored the fact that in the datasheet of these module
> is mentioned the pps output, so I checked and the manufacturer is claiming
> that it has "High accuracy 1-PPS timing support for Timing Applications
> (10ns jitter)"

"High accuracy" is marketing BS.  You need to look at the numbers.  10 ns is
better than many similar chips.

> Has anybody used this chipset or similar for GPSDO? I have no experience
> with discipled oscillators but if there is any hope that the pps out of
> these modules is good for the task maybe it's time for me to start reading
> more about the subject.

A key idea in this area is hanging bridges.

Lots of good info here:
  Tom Clark and Rick Hambly: Timing for VLBI
  http://gpstime.com/files/tow-time2009.pdf

More here:
  Motorola GPS M12+ Sawtooth
  http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/m12/sawtooth.htm