[time-nuts] HP8720C manuals?

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Thu Oct 18 04:10:46 UTC 2012

On 10/18/12 12:33 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 10/17/12 3:35 PM, David Kirkby wrote:
>> On 17 October 2012 20:35, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>

> Someone found the manual I needed (see the other posts).. it was on that
> general website but not linked from anywhere...

I guess you should report that.

>> Another place to get information, is asking on the Agilent VNA forums.
>>
>> http://www.home.agilent.com/owc_discussions/category.jspa?categoryID=32
>>
>> There are several, one of which is devoted to programming.
>>
>> http://www.home.agilent.com/owc_discussions/forum.jspa?forumID=73
>
> useful.
>

>> I'm just in the process of writing some code to drag data off the
>> 8720D. It's written for the National Instruments GP-IB board, and Ive
>> only compiled it under Solaris, though I expect it would compile under
>> Linux with no problem. It uses the standard
>
> Mine is in Python using the Prologix Ethernet/GPIB widget. But same
> general objective.. drag down data and dump it in a standard file format
> that can be ingested by other programs.
>
> There's several QB4.5 examples out there too.. It should be
> straightforward to cobble something up..

I don't know what flavor of BASIC is used, but there are BASIC examples in the
manual. But for me at least, C examples are far more use.

If you are going to capture data over a long time, you might want to blank the
screen.

BLAD ON

will do that. Apparently it saves the LCD and might save a femto gram of CO2
being produced.