[time-nuts] Followup (still want a GPS-type NTP refclock)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Oct 18 20:03:14 UTC 2012

kuzetsa at gmail.com said:
> http://www.ankaka.com/usb-gps-receiver-for-computers-laptop-worked-as-gps-nav
> igator_p46411.html
> "AGI-G217 USB GPS Receiver"

That web page says:
  Uses SiRF Star III chipset to provide high accuracy and reliability

It's a typical low-cost GPS via USB navigation unit.  It's not a timing
receiver.

SiRF has a huge chunk of the low cost  market.  Their receiver is sensitive,
but it's horrible for timing unless you have a non-USB version so you can get
the PPS signal.  The problem is wander.  (With my timing hat on, I'd call it
a firmware bug.)  By wander I mean very low frequency jitter.  It's low
enough that you can't filter it out by averaging a reasonable number of
samples.
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/ntp/GPSSiRF-off.gif

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.