[time-nuts] Be aware of test equipment seller orzel-enterprises oneBay

jim s jws at jwsss.com
Tue Sep 11 21:15:05 UTC 2012

On 9/11/2012 8:37 AM, Gregory Muir wrote:
> If you have a chance, you should visit one of the UPS shipping test labs where customers are supposed to take their prototype packaging to have it tested to see if it will stand up to the rigors of UPS shipping.  Your jaw will drop when you see what they put the packages through.
>
> Greg
I worked on a project for MPI which was the tape division of Control
Data on the Sentinel tape drive, which was an 8" form factor quarter
inch cartridge drive.  About the size of an 8" floppy.

Part of the entire engineering project which had to pass successfully as
much as moving tape and transferring data was a mandatory 3 point UPS
test.  You had to send the package out of Valley Forge, Pa, to the Bay
area, to Atlanta, and back to Valley Forge, and at the end of the trip
pass what they called DVT.

It took them two tries to get the packaging to survive the UPS test.
They had a very nice, easy to open but rugged structure inside with
braces on parts that had to be removed before operation (motor was heavy
enough to have broken on one pass). and then it was suspended in a hard
foam floating arrangement in an outer tri wall box.  They really wanted
you to save the container if you had to reship It.

Jim