[time-nuts] Frequency satndard on ebay UK / sulzer manuals

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Sep 14 17:32:16 UTC 2012

> This equipment is only good to spend winter time or for museum. Several
> newer oscillator,like HP10811/10544, have the same characteristics or
> better in smaller size.
> The component used ar not the best and you can have fault expecially on
> the power supply.

Luciano,

My experience is that some of these old 2.5 or 5 MHz Sulzer oscillators have vastly better performance than most 10811/10544. For example, see:
http://www.febo.com/pages/oscillators/sulzer/
http://leapsecond.com/museum/sul25-1/
http://leapsecond.com/museum/sul25-2/

While it is true that they don't always work out-of-the-box when you find them cheap on eBay, once fixed, their performance is stunning. That's why these rare old Sulzer's are highly prized.

/tvb