[time-nuts] RS-232 interfacing

M. Simon msimon6808 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 5 09:35:25 EDT 2013

A while back some of the folks on the list were discussing RS-232 interfacing. I may have something useful for those of you still wrestling with the problem. An RS-232 interface (Male or Female DB-9) that can take any voltage from 1.8 to 5V (nominal) and turn it into full RS-232 levels at 230,400 baud or less. It produces +/- 10V RS-232 levels (nominal - about +/- 8V actual).  You can configure the board for DTE or DCE with a jumper field (a header on .1" ctrs - so you can use jumper shorts).  All the usual control signals are wired on the PCB except for RI. There are holes available for that though. It requires a 5V supply.

The design (schematics and parts list) is available at http://spacetimepro.blogspot.com/2013/07/ttl-to-rs-232-db9-m.html and you can order bare boards if that would be of use to you. I also have links there to the RS-232 wiki. And a few other useful things.

Simon

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.