[time-nuts] [OT] Re: Heads up: Mark C. Stephens...

MailLists lists at medesign.ro
Mon Aug 5 10:17:37 EDT 2013

While I'll agree on Spamhaus' decent services, SORBS has definitely a
very shoddy history (the internet is full of "beneficiaries"'s stories).
Besides being very "trigger happy", and unresponsive on requests, the
owners at least used to force a "fine", err. "donation" for delisting.
Since it has been sold, a few years ago, I guess the latter practice was
discontinued.

Thanks for the suggestions, but even if I'm running/administering mail
servers since last century, I still had encounters with some
donkey-brained DNSBLs, one even trying to blackmail me, conditioning
delisting with forcing my ISP, through me, to contact them to solve some
"unfinished business" they had... Cases of blacklisting all IP blocks of
certain ISPs as a retaliatory measure are not unknown of, if the DNSBL's
"master" felt so...
Not one of those brain-dead DNSBLs could provide a single example of
spam originating at one of the MXs's addresses, but offered a lot of hot
air about their "intelligent" algorithms. In the case of a DNSBL
acquired by m$, they justified the blacklisting for sending "over 50%
spam" after supposedly getting _one_ offending message... which they of
course couldn't/wouldn't provide. You have to trust their word!
It's usually just a waste of time, and nerves, to try to reason with
those DNSBLs. It's faster to convince the admin of the partner's domain
to whitelist the IP(s) directly.

BTW, most viruses, and other malwares usually don't use the victim's ISP
MXs, but send the spam/malware directly to the world. I've more seen
spoofing compromised generic (web)mail provider's accounts (especially
yahoo). Windumb, and computer illiterate lusers are the main source of
spam/malware dissemination.
Blocking SMTP connections except to the own MX (with appropriate
filtering before relaying) is current practice.