[time-nuts] Modified Extron DA [WAS: Rb video]

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sat Aug 10 06:10:14 EDT 2013

Bob wrote:

>For a reasonable standard distribution, you probably want one input
>and many outputs. One in / eight out or one in / 12 out are fairly
>common. At least the video gizmo we've been dissecting has trouble
>past one in / 4 out.

It has 6 CLC409s, each of which drives 3 BNCs, for 18 outputs.  Even
if you have all 50 ohm loads and only use 2 outputs per op-amp,
that's still 12 outputs.

>If you cascade them you are at one in to 3 useful outputs. to get to
>eight you do a lot of jumping from here to there. Each op amp adds
>it's noise in a cascade.

You don't need to cascade anything, because you hardwire the inputs
in the configuration you want (1x18, 1x12 + 1x6, or 1x6 + 1x6 + 1x6)
(which becomes 1x12, 1x8 + 1x4, or 1x4 + 1x4 + 1x4, assuming again
that all of your loads are 50 ohms so you use only two outputs per
op-amp).  Since most of us have few 50 ohm loads and lots of ~1k ohm
loads to feed, the current limit of the CLC409s will not matter as
long as we distribute the 50 ohm loads among the op-amps.  When I
used the Extron, I had it set up to be switchable between 1x18 and 1x12 + 1x6.

>If you are going to run -185 dbc/Hz phase noise signals, none of
>these solutions will work. For that stuff you want a totally
>different approach. The same is true if you are after ADEV at
>1x10^-15 at 1 second.

Agreed.  Also, if you need >120 dB of isolation from output to output
or output to input.  All of these solutions are for feeding the
external reference inputs of various test equipment, radios, etc.,
not for buffering and isolating signals for serious phase noise or
ADEV analysis.

>All I'm really trying to say here is that the alternative isn't all
>that tough. You can do it cheap with common parts and not a lot of
>effort. The time to hack up an existing video box (and do it right)
>may not be much less than the time to do something much simpler from scratch.

One person's "not that tough" is another person's "I don't know how
I'd do that."  I hacked up a video DA (and did it right, within the
limits of re-using the CLC409s) in a couple of hours.  I have since
built my own DA that has much lower phase noise and ADEV than any
source I have or am likely ever to have.  By the time you design a PC
card and have it made, you are way, way beyond "not a lot of effort"
for lots of people, to say nothing of the metalwork (even if it is
just making new front and back plates for an existing Extron box).  I
can do all of that, and I did, but it appears from the on-list
interest in video DAs that a lot of time nuts would rather not be bothered.

Best regards,

Charles