[time-nuts] Warped back to 1993

Brian Alsop alsopb at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 11 14:27:03 EDT 2013

Hal,

Is the change cumulative?  In other words is one tries 2^n times, could
you get there?

BTW.  Thanks for your advice on scopes.
I finally ordered a DS1102.  I had ordered a DS2072 but it would have
been 4-6 weeks till arrival, if then.  In the interim, I convinced
myself a 2072 would have been a like trying to hold a tiger by the tail.
Play with the cheaper version for learning purposes.  I was also turned
off by the metal heat sink holddowns popping off inside the unit. While
a repair would be easy, one would void the warranty.  Turns out guys
have hacked the 2072 to turn it into a 2202 bandwidth et al.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 8/11/2013 17:51, Hal Murray wrote:

> magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org said:
>> I'm sure that the NTP drivers can be hacked to make necessary adjustments
>> without too much code.
>
> The code is already in there.  It's got a fudge option in the config file.
> That was intended to fixup small offsets.  I think it will work with big
> offsets too.
>
> 1024 weeks is 1024*7*86400 seconds.  That's 0x24EA0000, 30 bits.  It won't
> fit in a float if you also need to correct for a few ms, but it should work
> if you changed enough stuff from floats to doubles.  They are likely to be
> doubles already.
>
> It would be fun to try.

-----
No virus found in this message.