[time-nuts] Warped back to 1993

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sun Aug 11 15:11:41 EDT 2013

Hi

The issue with the fudge option is that you need to engage it at exactly the right point. Put another way, there's a period between it failing and your entering a fudge that the NTP server is down. With a couple lines of auto correct code in there, it would (essentially) never fail. If you are running a GPS, you enable the auto-correction and forget about it. My guess is that many GPS devices will eventually suffer from the wrap around. The  only way they could avoid it would be some sort of external correction (like continuous firmware updates) or a "no reverse" on the year. Both approaches have their drawbacks…..

Bob