[time-nuts] Needed: The Real Serial USB Fix

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 24 01:37:31 EDT 2013

Hi

Pardon my interjection …. but.

For a simple TBolt monitor, *any* OS is total overkill. If all you have is a
small / simple display - you can't put much up there. For a monitor you
don't have a keyboard / mouse / usb touchpad / Bluetooth presentation wand.
Nothing to do and nothing to control.  One big loop and not a lot else will
do the trick with lots of time left over. If you want to go crazy, run one
of the free RTOS distributions that the semiconductor companies give away.
Freescale passes out MQX / MQX-lite. The others have similar "stuff". They
all have way more in them than this sort of application requires.

Bob

Sounds like a job for the Raspberry Pi.  Low-cost, low-power, has serial
I/O, and yet can still be programmed in C/C++ or Pascal/Delphi, can run a
Web server, so you can perhaps re-use existing code from another OS.
Low-cost displays available too.  I'm using one of my RPi cards as a digital
wall clock - no keyboard, mouse etc., and can be accessed over the 'net if
needed.

David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk