[time-nuts] An embedded NTP server

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 06:44:14 UTC 2013

From: Tom Harris

+1 for Forth!

+1 for your opinions on PICs & AVRs. We can buy low end NXP ARM Cortex M0
chips (e.g. LPC1113) for less than the PIC18 we were using before, and it
has a real compiler and (unlike the real world) evidence of intelligent
design!

Do you really need an OS? Surely for a box that is only ever going to be an
NTP server you just need a network interface and good maths? I've just seen
a later comment where you mention floating point support, but would 64 bit
integer maths work just as well?

Having an OS makes access to things like SNMP for monitoring, SSL for
control, and Samba for log extraction and management easier.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk