[time-nuts] An embedded NTP server

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 07:26:51 UTC 2013

Not only SSH access, loggin g things like DNS lookup and rading the
ntp.comf file from local (flash?) memory.  And then without an OS
you'd have to implement sceduling and process creation yourself.  How
else to accept SSH log ins, talk to multiple NT clients and yu
reference clocks and write to the log server all at the same time?

The trouble is that if you decide to go with an OS all of this becomes
easy because it is already available for ARM and any other platforms
the OS runs on.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM, David J Taylor
<david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> From: Tom Harris
>

> +1 for Forth!
>
> +1 for your opinions on PICs & AVRs. We can buy low end NXP ARM Cortex M0
> chips (e.g. LPC1113) for less than the PIC18 we were using before, and it
> has a real compiler and (unlike the real world) evidence of intelligent
> design!
>
> Do you really need an OS? Surely for a box that is only ever going to be an
> NTP server you just need a network interface and good maths? I've just seen
> a later comment where you mention floating point support, but would 64 bit
> integer maths work just as well?
>

> Having an OS makes access to things like SNMP for monitoring, SSL for
> control, and Samba for log extraction and management easier.
>

> Cheers,
> David
> --
> SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
> Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
> Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California