[time-nuts] single board PCs

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 7 14:00:52 UTC 2013

On 1/6/13 8:56 PM, gary wrote:
> There is an open source equivalent of Matlab called Octave.

Yes..we use it too, and for anyone who uses Matlab, Octave is nice to
have as well. For instance, we have a centralized license server for
Matlab, and if you're incommunicado, you're stuck, but with Octave, you
can, for the most part, keep doing stuff.  Matlab has better/easier
graphics and, of course, the toolboxes, Simulink, etc.

  If you are
> doing data acquisition, GPIB linux is kind of ugly.

Not with the Prologix Ethernet GPIB widget.. it's all sockets in Python,
and that's platform independent.  But there are other things we do using
NI LabView, and sometimes, there's a Windows driver for the device, but
not one for Linux.  I'm trying to move away from the "plug cards into
the bus" model and towards "connect via USB or ethernet"

  But if you are doing