[time-nuts] Article discussing various free SPICE and other circuit simulators.

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 04:59:49 UTC 2013

The trick to using sub circuits from third parties in LT Spice is "brute
force".  You simply include the full text of the subcircuit in the LTspice
simulation.  It shows up as a test anotation in the schematic but.
 Trying to integrate it into the existing library takes more work, but
direct inclusion is simple, if inelegant.

But for simple things just plain "spice" works, after a while you get to be
able to think in "net list" and don't even need to draw the schematic.
 LTSpice is nice and simplest for beginners.  Under it all they are the
same inside, just a different user interface.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM, gary <lists at lazygranch.com> wrote:

> LTSpice has a schematic capture and graphical output viewer associated
> with it. It is my suggestion. Using macro models from other vendors takes a
> bit of work. Using LTC parts is a snap. ;-)
>
> I prefer running a more traditional spice for noise analysis. Check out
> NGspice
> http://ngspice.sourceforge.**net/ <http://ngspice.sourceforge.net/>
>

> On 1/8/2013 6:47 PM, David wrote:
>
>> Electronic Design recently ran an article discussing the various free
>> SPICE and other circuit simulators available for download.  LTspice
>> which I have seen several list members use is prominently mentioned.
>>
>> For those who missed it, here is a link to the online article:
>>
>> http://electronicdesign.com/**article/analog-and-mixed-**
>> signal/free-downloadable-**spice-tools-capture-simulate-**
>> analog-circuits-74587<http://electronicdesign.com/article/analog-and-mixed-signal/free-downloadable-spice-tools-capture-simulate-analog-circuits-74587>

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California