[time-nuts] GPS Spoofing

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Jul 29 21:16:41 EDT 2013

Hi

Slow down a moment ….

If the cell tower is CDMA then yes GPS will have an impact on it.  If it's TDMA / GSM - not so much.

If the cell tower is working properly, it'll go into holdover for at least 24 hours (and probably a *lot* more) before there is an issue.

If the cell tower has an operator with >= 1/4 of a brain, they will have somebody out there within 4 to 8 hours. By 12 hours everything will be swapped out and checked (probably a lot less).

At some point the guy may / will / should notice that the GPS in his car is going nuts.

Well before 24 hours with no fix, it gets bumped up. Next tier *will* check their GPS. In comes the FCC (and likely others).

If the jammer isn't found in 24 - 96 hours, in comes a backup mobile tower.

If that's jammed as well, you loose cell service from one provider over a relatively small area. This happens all the time. It happened here twice within the last month.

If it happens enough people switch to another provider.

The world does not end because I can't text my buddies *right now*….

The TBolt's come from an early E-911 system. They don't do it that way anymore. The current thinking is that you put an aided GPS in all the phones. We have them because the system went out of service.

Bob