[time-nuts] looking for low-power system for gps ntp timekeeping

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 14:25:21 EDT 2013

For less money you could buy an Intel Atom board and it will run Linux and
can even act as a small file server.  The Intel board is a real Intel
64-bit CPU and it uses VERY little power, notice there is no fan on the
heat sink and it fits inside any standard PC chassis.

It has a "real" serial port and you can add up to about 4GB of RAM.  But
for this use buy a 2GB stick and boot from a small CF card, not disk.

Intel-BOXD2500HN-Dual-Core-Mini-ITX-Motherboard/dp/B007BHTMX6<http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOXD2500HN-Dual-Core-Mini-ITX-Motherboard/dp/B007BHTMX6>

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM, folkert <folkert at vanheusden.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I own a couple of GPS modules (garmin 18(x) lvc) which I would like to
> use as a time-source.
> Now my server already has such a module connected (via gpsd and a pci
> rs232 interface) and my raspberry pies too (adafruit modules) so I'm
> looking for a low-power computer with a complete RS232 connector (DB9)
> with all signals attached so that I can feed it a PPS. Also real
> RS232 so that I don't have to mess with resistors and such.
>
> I'm considering either this one:
> http://www.antratek.com/nanosg20-with-128-mb-sdram-and-512-mb-flash
> or this one:
> http://www.antratek.com/ontwikkelboard-met-cirrus-logic-ep9302
> What do you guys think: would they be any good for timekeeping? Known
> issues?
>

> Regards,
>
> Folkert van Heusden
>
> --