[time-nuts] Thunderbolt antenna

Volker Esper ailer2 at t-online.de
Sun Mar 10 11:01:45 EDT 2013

Hi Peter,

Why not. The antenna is optimized for that purpose (receiving GPS L1),
omnidirectional and tuned to the GPS frequency, snow skids down, birds
can't land on it. As N0UU affirms, there's nothing further sensational
inside.

I don't know, how proficient you are with radio frequency stuff, but a
gain of 35dB does not guarantee a good reception. You primarily need
gain to compensate (cable) losses. The noise figure (NF), for example,
can get much more important.

What antenna do you use at the time? If you are using a magnetic car
roof antenna a Trimble Bullet surely will be a better choice...

There are lots of GPS antennas on ebay for even less than 30 Dollars. I
run four different antennas, which I purchased from ebay and none of
them has failed so far.

Volker