[time-nuts] Brooks Shera

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 03:34:56 EDT 2013

I think Brooks' design is worth studying.  It is simple enough and
uses 20 year old technology so even use old folks can follow how it
works.   Then you go off and build something else using current parts

I have one of those cheaper Rb units too.  But you set them by sending
a command over the serial port.  Not by a control voltage.  The DAC is
internal to the unit.  I plan to use a $5 TI Launch Pad.  But
basically the same over all ideas he used.  At $5 each with shipping
included TI is losing money.   The device is self programming via a
USB connection.

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Daniel Schultz <n8fgv at usa.net> wrote:
> Another great ham passes on, I'm sorry I never had a chance to meet him.
>
> Is the GPS controller that Brooks published still useful today, or has it been
> superseded by something newer? I have a Motorola GPS receiver (PVT-6) with 1
> pps output, and an HP oscillator (model number escapes me at the moment). I
> also have one of the $30 ebay rubidium modules (FE-5680A) that were discussed
> here in previous years. I only need a controller to tie them all together.
>
> Should I build Brooks' circuit to work with my old Motorola PVT-6 or should I
> look for something else (perhaps one of the Jupiter receivers with 10 kHz
> output)? The D/A chip in his design seems to be obsolete, his archived web
> site says to contact him for the chip but we can't do that anymore. Are they
> still available?
>
> Dan Schultz N8FGV

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California