[time-nuts] Metastability (was Brooks Shera)

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Mar 25 17:04:17 EDT 2013

Hi

With the 24 MHz clock in the circuit, and the logic families shown, the most
likely metastability issues are edge rather than clock pulse width related.
When you hit the "magic window" (think picoseconds) there is a probability
of going metastable. It's not a 100% thing. Even with multiple synchronizer
stages *not* being metastable is also not a 100% guarantee.

The real question is - does a once every X seconds / hours / centuries event
bother me in the application? Once you get to a multi stage synchronizer,
the dimensions on the time are large enough that the answer is generally no.
The event is so rare that you will never see it with these data rates. Being
sure it's fixed is easy.

It's the flip side - error rate without the synchronizer that is a bit
harder to quantify. Things could run for weeks outside the threat window. Is
it a several times a minute (every few days) or once an hour (every few
weeks) problem? In the first case, you probably do care. Multiple hits per
minute will mess up the loop. In the second case, you will never notice the
issue.

Of course, boost the clock, change the logic family, mix logic families,
fiddle this or that and you probably should look at things again...

Bob