[time-nuts] Win XP and NIST time

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 02:43:28 EDT 2013

From: Anthony G. Atkielski
[]
I've been using the standard NTP client in Windows XP for ages, and it
works just fine. I tried third-party stuff. It was just more work for
no apparent gain. The XP desktop is synchronized with my NTP server
perfectly within the limits of my perception, so there is no reason to
go further. Microsecond accuracy is not necessary because I have no
way of testing accuracy with that resolution, nor do I have any
application that requires it. I'm mainly concerned with long-term
accuracy, not short-term accuracy, so it's more important to be
correct within 1/100 second over a period of years than to be correct
within 1 microsecond over a day.

Anthony
======================================

Anthony,

As it happens, I have four PCs all taking satellite data at high-speed,
together with dozens of other independently-operated PCs doing the same
across Europe, and it's helpful to be able to correlate the time on any
events which happen out of the ordinary.  The accuracy provided by the
reference NTP is most helpful for this, as well as its ease of management.

There are amateur radio applications which also require much better accuracy
than is provided by Microsoft's NTP for Windows.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk