[time-nuts] OT - DC-10 gyros

bownes bownes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 23:16:16 EDT 2013

On Mar 27, 2013, at 22:54, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 3/27/13 3:20 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Of course, for the more mechanically inclined.. what about a big flywheel driving an alternator.  You might be able to rejigger a car alternator.  I don't recall how many poles they have..

A motor driving a flywheel driving an alternator/generator is called a motor generator set. Some implementations are called a diesel electric locomotive. We used to use them as power conditioners for Cray class supercomputers. Also used by many home machinists to generate 3 phase from single phase power. 

Car alternators are generally 3 phase internally. Don't know if you could get 28vac out tho. 

More information about the time-nuts mailing list