[time-nuts] Austron / Datum 2200 Antenna

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Tue May 14 08:15:24 EDT 2013

I have succesfully built converters but not as you might suspect. I tapped
into a much later model GPS and up converted the IF signal to 75.42.
Essentially the 10 Mhz from the austron feeds what was the 10 Mhz of the
GPS rcvr. The same 10 Mhz is multiplied by 4 and mixed with the GPS rcvrs
35.42 to get the 75.42 for the Austron.
Alternately I used the Odetics converter and multiplied the 10 Mhz Austron
LO to 40 MHz to feed the Odetics converter.
All of that said. There a very nice chips today that have the PLL, VCOs,
mixers and such that really need pre-amplification and filtering and thats
about it. Not trivial but reasonable.
Unfortunately I will not have time to explore that option. But if someone
does go to the trouble to accomplish this I can tell you that the Austrons
perform very well. Pretty classy. Notice I stayed away from absolute
numbers. I would have to look them up.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL