[time-nuts] OCXO shock protection

Frederick Bray fwbray at mminternet.com
Sun May 19 23:10:58 EDT 2013

That is an interesting question.  I am in the greater LA area and have
several pieces of test gear with OCXO's.  I have never taken any
precautions other than making sure that the gear can't fall off the
shelf or bench.  Then again, I may not be doing things to time-nuts
standards.

There are a couple of fairly simple shock mount options that I can think
of if you want to pursue this.  One is to pick up a couple of military
surplus Hardigg cases that have the 19 inch shock mount racks in them.
You could mount the gear in the case or remove the rack and mount it
elsewhere.  If you just want to do shock mounting for a a single piece
of gear, you might take a look at surplussales.com as they have a number
of shock mounts.

As one other person mentioned, the big thing is to secure shelves and
racks to the wall.  If you have ever seen any of the earthquake
simulations where they put full-size room models on shake tables, you
will notice that one of the issues is that the walls will slap against
book shelves, knocking them over.

Fred