[time-nuts] Downsizing dilemma, HP 3335A

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu May 23 06:59:15 EDT 2013

Hi

What do you plan to be doing? How much room will you have? If it's stored off site how much does that cost? When was the last time you used this or that? Are you inventorying parts and equipment simply to repair it? This stuff does break, how much time do you really want to spend repairing it?

I try very hard to never ever ask myself any of these questions …..

Less difficult are:

Should you replace it and several of it's friends with something more modern and reliable? Can you do what it does for you with a PC accessory?

Do you need a 3335? I seem to have one (maybe more than one…). It's not anything that I use very often. It's a high resolution / low frequency box. It's not got great phase noise. It's not what I would use to test a normal radio. Might use it on one for WWVB. If I had to drop back to a single bench full of gear, I'd dump the beast. I have other signal generators that are higher on the list.

Bob